Thursday, April 28, 2011

Third time is the Charm: Puerto Princesa, Palawan

My third visit to Puerto Princesa was an out of the blue decision. Back in September when we were still just friends, Glenn asked me if I wanted a Singapore-Malaysia trip on my birthday. Air Philippines had a promo at that time since they just opened the Manila-Singapore route. He tempted me with the thought of crossing the border to Malaysia to visit Malacca, one of Malaysia’s UNESCO World Heritage Site. How can I say no to him after that? Our travel dates have always been a give and take affair. He takes care of the flight bookings and accommodations and I prepare our itinerary and the little travel details like how to get from one place to another. Everything was ready a month before we were set to leave, except the accommodations. I had one instruction for him when he was searching for a place for us to stay. To make sure that the rate doesn’t exceed 1500 php. He did find hostels that offer a lower rate but it wasn’t up to his standards.  He found a place that he likes but it was 4500/day. I freaked out of course and told him that it was too much. Little did I know that he already had a planned B if I didn’t want to go thru with the Singapore-Malaysia trip. This was going to be my first birthday together with him and he wanted it to be extra special. So he asked me if I wanted to go home to Lanao del Norte and celebrate it with my parents or we go home to Palawan to celebrate it with both sets of parents.  Since we will be spending Christmas this year in my hometown, we decided to celebrate my birthday in Palawan. It was also a chance for me to visit Napsan, a small barangay  in Puerto Princesa. His family has some properties there and Glenn and his brothers spent childhood summers there. He has fond memories of swimming in Napsan beach and claims that it is one of the nicest beaches in Palawan. 

So last February 22, together with Glenn’s parents and aunt, we took a flight to Puerto Princesa and spent a day in their place by the beach in Puerto Princesa proper. Incidentally, it was his cousin’s birthday so we were treated to sumptuous food, especially the “Lawya” – a Cuyonin dish. 

"Lawya" is the one between the spaghetti and rice
 
The next day we set off to San Jose terminal to catch the jeepney going to Napsan. There are two trips daily and the first one leaves at 9am. We were at the terminal before 9am to ensure that we get seats. But the jeepney wasn’t there yet so we had time to buy essentials like water and bread. Apparently the driver follows Filipino time so we were able to leave at around 11am.  I wasn’t a happy commuter after two hours of waiting inside a cramped vehicle. Only the thought of spending the afternoon at the beach kept me sane.

Not your usual jeepney in the city
 
After almost two hours of travel and 140 php less for the fare, we finally arrived in Napsan. His parents, who took a motorcycle, arrived first. We had a late lunch at his aunt’s place. Then we went straight to the beach. It was worth the transportation hassle. The shore seems to stretched out endlessly.  The deserted beach was a perfect place to recharge. 

Pristine beach of Napsan
Seemingly endless shore
 
The next day his parents decided to have a picnic by the river. It was a 15 minute motorcycle ride to their farm. The property sits beside the river so after lunch we took a refreshing dip in the river.

A day at the farm
 
We left Napsan on the third morning at around 7:30am. We arrived in Puerto Princesa proper just in time to meet my parents at the airport. They took a CDO-MNL-PPS connecting flight just to be with me on my birthday. After a seafood feast prepared by his father, everybody took a nap. My parents liked the sea breeze so much they opted to take an afternoon nap at the cottage in the middle of the sea. Dinner was at Edwin’s, one of Glenn’s favourite resto while growing up. 


On the day of my birthday, my ever thoughtful boyfriend surprised me with a birthday cake and red roses. After which we set off to Kalui, Puerto Princesa’s famous resto. We immensely enjoyed the seafood feast, especially the Tubattaha salad. Kalui is open Mondays to Saturdays for lunch (11am-2pm) and dinner (6pm-11pm). 

His birthday cake surprise
Seafood feast in Kalui

After Kalui, we hit the road to explore the northern part of Puerto Princesa. Glenn wanted to spend the night at one of the resorts. After almost an hour of travel we found Nitivos and Restaurant in Brgy. San Rafael. The resort opened less than a year ago so it wasn’t that established yet. But since we were the only guests and for 1200 php  for a deluxe room it was already a good deal. It was worth it when we witnessed this beautiful sunrise at the beach.

Sunrise in Nitivos Beach Resort

After leaving the resort we visited Baker’s Hill to buy goodies that my parents can take with them then went straight to Mitra’s ranch to enjoy the view.

Double date at Baker's Hill
With the parents at Mitra's ranch
 
Glenn and I ended the day with a coffee date at Itoy’s Coffee Haus. Their Cashew frappe is a winner. 

Cashew frappe at Itoy's Coffee Haus


No comments:

Post a Comment